Community
3ds Max Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max topics.
取消
Showing results for
Search instead for
Did you mean:

Share your favorite tips, tricks, workflows, and secrets in 3ds Max.

229回复229
Message1of 230
Alfred.DeFlaminis
29702 Views, 229 Replies

Share your favorite tips, tricks, workflows, and secrets in 3ds Max.

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to make a thread about sharing your favorite tips, tricks, or secrets found within 3ds Max. From awesome hotkey combos to those really essential tools that everyone may not know about, this is the place to share! I've started the ball rolling below with some really cool tidbits on the particle flow presets that people may not be aware of.

Please, share yours too!

Best Regards,

Tags(2)
229回复229
Message141of 230

I found that usingLazy Nezumi Prowith new Freehand spline in 3ds max 2018.2 I can greatly improve quality of drawings line. I'm using LN with Photoshop and can't live without it.

Royal Ghost |veda3d.com
Message142of 230

Hello@RGhost77,

I am a huge fan of Lazy Nazumi, excellent post and usage. I also use it in photoshop to create quick and dirty storyboards. The perspective tool in LN is great. Thanks for posting that. Combining this with the newSpline Relaxin 2018.2 is a formidable combo.

Best Regards,

Message143of 230

You can use Edit Poly modifier as a dynamic modifier using Animate mode and Use Stack Selection. That way, the operation doesn't get commited, you can return to it and change the settings anytime, and changing the underlying topology or selection will work without issues and update the end result:

useStackSel.gif

Message144of 230

No kidding? I'm going to have to try that out one of these days, thank you for posting that, 'cause now I can save a lot of time from a whole list of modifiers down to what you just said.

需要帮忙吗?需要联系欧特克?点击link below!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support/technical-support
Message145of 230

I only mention this tip because I don't see many others doing this, even though I'm sure this is not an original idea.

Regarding Scanline...which I think gets a bad wrap because if you know how light works, you can make some very realistic looking scenes with fast render time.

Anyway, my tip is if you want to create soft shadows in Scanline, DON'T USE AREA SHADOWS. The render time is insane.

Instead, use a bank of lights much like you would see in a soft light on a movie set. I've used as much as 24 Omni lights in the form of a rectangle to create soft light. It works really well and you can keep your shadow map size set high for best quality without the blotchiness of low map sizes that can create soft shadows but look terrible if you have to zoom in at all.

Anyway, I've attached an example. This was all done with standard lights, standard materials, physical materials, and arc-design materials. No photometric. No Area shadows. I kind of like Scanline because of it's predictability, speed and control...you can "paint with lights."

In all honesty, though, I am moving to Arnold.

Message146of 230

Thanks@davidmichaelbrown.brownfor your recommendation! would you mind posting a shot of how you have your omni lights positioned?

I have been using Quicksilver for its fast render times and predictability but i may try scanline with now.

Message147of 230

Before final gather and GI were available, there used to be a script for Max called GI Joe which created a dome of lights similar to what you are describing@davidmichaelbrown.brown. I often use scanline for zdepth and ID passes even if I'm using a more current renderer for everything else. Scanline remains in my pipeline as well on some level. Good post.

Message148of 230

I don't know if you can tell by looking at these.

The door has spots spread as far as they will go. One spot for each window of the door. Of course there is attenuation to make this leaking light from the door look like it is bounced from the outdoors.

The window just has omnis shooting into our eyes.

There is a bank of lights right next to the camera.

You may see those black splines levitating in the middle of the room. Those are "rigs" with those floating omni lights linked to them.

Even those ambient fills have shows turned ON. When you have a lot with the shadows on, this creates the Ambeint Occlusion effect.

I also don't use a sky dome light...again for scanline, this takes a lot of render time. Instead I use multiple direct lights in a sphere shape...you can find a lot of tutorials online showing this.

Message149of 230

Thanks good info

Message150of 230

These tips and tricks should help!

Message151of 230

Hi@davidmichaelbrown.brown

If you do not use area shadows what do you select in this area?

thanks

光泛光灯setup.jpg

Message152of 230

Hi I am trying to test your suggestion however have a question

If you do not use area shadows what do you select in this area?

thanks

光泛光灯setup.jpg

Message153of 230

Just Shadow maps.

I haven't officially tested render times but I believe this will reduce render time and experimentation time (tweaking area shadow samples, bias, quality, etc.) and still give you the same effect.

You can create a "rig" of light that are linked to a non-renderable rectangle, sphere, or whatever. Just move the rig to move all of your lights at once.

Message154of 230

Message155of 230

The "place highlight" is a hidden gem:slightly_smiling_face:

Message156of 230

I couldn't agree more@marksman123! What a cool tool. A lot of people don't realize it but it works with any type of object. I used to use it to place reflection cards for car windows so that they hit exactly where I needed them too. The IOR can make it necessary to try a few times on occasion, but that's one of my favorite tools especially for placing razor thin rim lights.

EDIT: Spelling.Smiley Embarassed

Best Regards,

Message157of 230
TheXennon
in reply to:StephenMF

You'd have a ball with the Logitech Gaming Mouse - It has around 18 programmable buttons all with their own shifted version via a G-Key allowing for some crazy number of custom actions all on the mouse.

lggm.png

Max 2016/2018
Win7Pro x64 (sp1), i7-3930K @ 3.20Ghz, 32GB Ram, DX11
nVidia GTX760 (4GB)
Message158of 230

Hello all,

Here's an interesting way to use the Track View to extract the modifier stack from the primary object in a boolean in 3ds Max 2018. It's an old school trick made possible with the persistent stack for operands in the new booleans. It was made for another thread (so is slightly out of context) but I got some decent feedback about it and though it made sense to share here. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message159of 230

"Place highlight"? Sounds interesting, what is that? Is that a new stack modifier that I'm unaware of?

需要帮忙吗?需要联系欧特克?点击link below!

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support/technical-support
Message160of 230

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums

”Community

”AEC

Baidu
map